2paw

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Black, black, my sleeve is black....

How exciting!! Hoping to buy a new cooking magazine at Birchalls I serendpitously found the old issue of Vogue Knitting!! There are 2 or three things I would like to knit, although as it is a Spring/Summer issue they will need severe lengthening!!! I have actual hard , well soft and papery, copy of the patterns I have seen on other blogs, as finished items. I feel so happy that no doubt a god of some description will smite me!! Oh and they had no cooking magazine and the little man was most unhelpful. As usual, I was able to find a copy at the newsagency up the road, AND they care and know my name too.
It was -1 C this morning so I was scraping the ice off the car at 8-35 am with my green gloves on inorder to take the Labradors for a walk. They especially love an icy walk. I don't know whether the ice crystalises the scents or they like the prickly icy grass? They ran Hell for leather!!!
On another knitting front ( in the war against ????) I have knitted the cuff and the Fibonacci stripes on the sleeve and I am up to plain black which is extremely hard to knit of a night which is why I should be watching Medium and the last ( sob, sob) episode of Enterprise ( Why,why???) instead of typing this. Apparently today is the day of ? and I don’t know why, do you?
I am slightly worried about the sleeves , because after the cast off for the under arm there seem to be hardly enough rows. No doubt it will all become clear at the sewing up stage, but I shall knit with this thought in my mind the whole time. I will have to be creative if it doesn’t sit correctly. Must knit, must finish jumper, must knit……
Other knitters seem to knit much faster than me – they finish lots of things, and it’s not as if I go to work all day and just knit at night . I do knit tightly and have more rows to the inch or cm than average which means I have to knit more rows to reach a target : in this case 42 cm. I have knitted 32 rows this morning, increasing from 80 to 98 stitches as the sleeve grows. I have knitted 24 cm in all so only 18 to go, about 100 more rows. At least there are no colour changes, it is all black, unrelenting and easy.
And so, another easy recipe in what has rapidly become easy week, and that didn’t come out the way I meant it too, but I’m too lazy to delete it, and I must knit, so :

Easy Berry and Chocolate Mini Cakes
50 g plain flour
110 g caster sugar
100 g almond or hazelnut meal
3 eggs
100 g butter
200 g dark chocolate ( or white or milk)
berries of your choice, a punnet or a frozen packet
Preheat oven to 150 C ( 130 ff) Melt the butter and chocolate together and cool slightly, then fold in the eggs, and then the dry ingredients. Mix till well combined. Grease and line 6 muffin tins, or papers or moulds, whatever you usually use. Fill each half way, the pop in a few berries, and then cover with the rest of the mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes or until cooked. You can serve with extra berries and the Rich Fudge Sauce I have mentioned before : Heat 300ml thickened cream, 100 g white marshmallows, and 200 g dark chocolate over a low heat till smooth. Add 60 ml of a coffee liqueur or extra coffee/cocoa mixed in I tablespoon of hot water!!!