2paw

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Walking back to knittingness, oh oh oh oh oh......

Today I arose at a most ungodly hour. The alarm went off and I woke up suddenly, and realised I had to be dressed and out in 15 minutes. There was ice all over the car, but I managed to be at the Kmart as the doors opened at 8 am. There were 2 treadmills and only 2 and I managed to lay-by one for Aunty Captain Mrs Archer!!! Then the Labradors had to be walked as they missed out yesterday. They like the ice!!
Then after a rest I went to visit a friend while she had her chemo in the Hospital. We chatted for about 2 hours until she fell asleep.
On the knitting front I have finished the body of another dinosaur and I have taken up the set aside cardigan. I am on my last sleeve, and I know that sounds like I have myriad arms, but I have the requisite two. No Chrysalids here!!! I have knitted a ball of wool and I am over a third of the way to the underarm. It is all increasing and an uphill slog, but once I start the decreasing I will be cruising. Then there is only one more front to go, and the back of the neckband. I should start searching for buttons right now. It is so hard to find good matching buttons. I despair sometimes.
We are preparing for 150 km an hour winds as the evening draws in. I hope the power doesn’t go out. I miss electricity! I must get candles and matches ready. We may miss Stargate Atlantis. The sky is already darkening and the wind is strengthening. It’s colder too. Winter might actually have arrived in one fell swoop.
The Star Wars recipes are at an end, and so today a cake recipe.
Orange Poppy seed Cake
Cake
200 g butter
1 tbspn grated orange rind
180 g light brown sugar
3 eggs
300 g plain flour
1 ½ tspn baking powder
125 ml orange juice
80 g poppy seeds
180 ml milk
Syrup
110 g caster sugar
125 ml orange juice
orange rind – grated or thinly sliced
Cake - Preheat oven to 160 C ( 140 ff) and grease and line a 20 cm tin. Soak poppy seeds in the milk. Cream butter, sugar and rind and then add the eggs one at a time. Fold in the dry ingredients, the juice and milk and seed mixture. Bake for 50-60 minutes, cool in tine for 10 minutes and then on a rack. Pour syrup over the cake once it is on the rack. Serve warm or cold.
Syrup – Place all ingredients in a pan and stir over a low heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes or until it thickens. Take care not to let it turn into toffee!!!