2paw

Thursday, June 02, 2005

It's a long way to the top if you wanna knit a sleeve....

Sleeves are not to bad in retrospect. I finished one ball of wool and I am almost through another !! I am knitting 120 stitches and I have reached 39 cm, so only 3 to go. I must go and buy 2 more balls of dark blue for the other sleeve. I have managed to lose a ball of black. I took the label out as I was walking around and now it has disappeared. I must check the garage in case Peri has taken it. I went to bed after The Glass House, but I had the most interrupted sleep. I woke up about 5 times. I am trying to sleep but I can’t seem too get into the swing of it. I’m not cold, I feel tired, I want to sleep…. I hate not sleeping. It was worse when I as at school. I would lie there thinking of all the things I had to do the next day, I would make lists, I would need to sleep desperately because I knew I had to go to work the next day….and I would fall asleep in the early hours of the morning., a deep and satisfying sleep, only to be woken by the alarm at 5-45 am. It is the very thought of not sleeping that is terrifying not the actual not sleeping.
One day I am going to post my blog with the first suggestions the Spellchecker makes. Sometimes I have a little giggle to myself. If I was a more competent typist it would not be a problem. I love spelling, oh and I love maths even more. Soon I get to help my niece with her Grade 8 maths!! She is going to scan her book and we are going to do long distance tutoring over the phone. I miss maths. I am glad that there is lots of maths in knitting : it fills a need.
I have read my Vogue Knitting from cover to cover twice and I want to visit the websites now. There are one of two from Australia. I have been drooling over this :

http://thewoolshack.com.au/yarns.htm?PHPSESSID=13e781d5e3916e87dd03bed586b2bea1
You click on the wool and then the colour range pops up and then you can view things made in the wool. I sighed and desired so many things I can’t afford, I could just about afford a bootie!!! Nevertheless when my tax return comes I’m giving myself a present of some expensive wool and a nice new pattern book. I want to knit a wrap around cross over cardigan of some description.
There are puddles of sun in the lounge room and Peri is lying in one all warm and snoozy. Harki is energetic : I have to throw her toy up the backyard. I have done it about 50 times already. She cries if I stop. I know I shouldn’t listen but she is so cute and so well behaved that spoiling is warranted at times, like now.
I am off to knit in the sun, wearing my Labrador throw as a shawl, with the real Labradors at my feet.
Easy Pastries
Puff pastry frozen block, thawed
Fruit : fresh, frozen or tinned and well drained
Almond meal
Caster sugar for sprinkling or sweetening
Egg and milk wash
Cut pastry sheets
Preheat oven to 200 C (180 ff) and grease and line trays. Roll out pastry to a thickness of ½ a cm . Cut out 15 cm squares and sprinkle on some almond meal. Top with the fruit and sweeten if necessary. Brush edges of pastry with water and seal. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes.
You can add chocolate, nuts, spices : whatever you fancy. Great for breakfast, brunch or desserts. Serve with cream, ice-cream or yoghurt and dust with icing sugar.